In this extremely educating presentation, Roger Annis, a writer and Vancouver resident, presents the findings from a five-day media tour to Donetsk city and region in mid-April 2015 and offer his own views of the conflict in Ukraine. Roger is an editor and writer at the website, The New Cold War: Ukraine and Beyond.
At 48:30 minutes into the almost an hour long presentation, Roger gives his, very correct, take on the very important question:
“What drives Russia’s actions in former Ukraine? Is it imperialism, like the leaders in the west claims, or is it something else?”
On September 29, 2014, The Institute for the Humanities at Simon Fraser University hosted a talk by Roger Annis on the war in eastern Ukraine and the accompanying political and military threats by NATO and the Kyiv government against Russia. Roger Annis is a Vancouver-based writer and antiwar activist who has written extensively on Ukraine. He attended the antiwar conference held in Yalta, Crimea on July 6, 7, 2014.
The themes covered in the one-hour talk included:
– The origin of the war—the pro-austerity and pro-NATO turn of Ukraine’s oligarchs, and NATO’s historic animosity to Russia
– The Maidan movement and the ascendance of right-wing nationalism in Ukraine
– Resistance of the Ukraine and Russian peoples to war and austerity
– The myth of ‘Russian imperialism’
– Solutions: Solidarity and working class unity for Ukraine. For a federated and democratic Ukraine.
Roger Annis can be reached at [email protected] His writings on Ukraine are on his website: http://rogerannis.com